Thursday, December 2, 2010

Knives are EVIL!!! Oh yes they are!!!

BEWARE... THIS MAY GROSS YOU OUT. Last night I was making myself some hot and sour soup. The recipe calls for sliced or diced cabbage. Now, I would like to think that, for the most part, I am a somewhat skilled cook. I have always been able to throw things together and make something delicious. I also LOVE LOVE to cook. So, for the most part I always remember when I am slicing, dicing, chopping, whatever, to tuck my fingers in. Well, I have this problem with my thumb. I tuck all of my fingers in except for my thumb. Well, as I was chopping up my cabbage last night, sure enough, my thumb decided to get a mind of it's own. I sliced the tip of it off like it was part of the cabbage. Immediately, I put pressure on it, grabbed the skin, and ran downstairs. I calmly said to the bf that I sliced the tip off. Of course he wanted to see it. Well, I didn't want to take my finger off because I knew as soon as I did that it would start gushing. So I showed him the piece that was no longer attached. It was definitely a good chunk. I went into the bathroom and immediately put it under some water. Of course, it started gushing before I made it to the faucet. Anyway, my bf kept asking if I needed to go to the hospital. Interested to know my reply??? I said, "No, we can't go to the hospital because we will sit there for hours and we are supposed to go see Harry Potter tonight!" So that's what we did. We bandaged my thumb with gauze and everything else, went to see Harry Potter, then stopped to get some skin shield and band-aids on the way home. Today my thumb is a lot better. No more bleeding. It doesn't hurt at all actually. I just kind of have to laugh at how it happened. The moral of the story? Tuck in those thumbs AND skip the hospital visit if you are planning on seeing Harry Potter that night. It was well worth it.

Oh, but I decided that if it doesn't look like it is starting to heal tomorrow, I will go to the doctor. A couple of people have said that I may need a skin graph. We will see.

2 comments:

  1. Ok question. I thought you grabbed the piece that was cut off so they could sew it back on, no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No no... I didn't grab it for that reason. I don't think they could have sewed it back on anyway. I grabbed it because I didn't want it to end up in the soup. LOL Plus I was amazed at the way it looked. You could see the different colors for all of the layers of skin. Needless to say, it has scabbed up and is healing nicely. No need for a skin graph. Phew!!!

    ReplyDelete